Learn more about diabetic foot care from your podiatrist in the Norridge, IL area!
Do you want to lower your odds of getting foot issues that can lead to a toe or leg amputation? Dr. Laura Pickard, at Norridge Foot Clinic serving the Norridge, IL area, provides state-of-the-art diabetic foot care to their patients. To ensure good foot health, follow these five tips to avoid injuries, and your feet will stay healthy.
1. Keep the skin smooth and soft- A good skin care routine can help manage skin concerns related to diabetes. Run a thin coat of petroleum jelly, cream or lotion on the tops and bottoms of your feet. Moisturizing your feet on a regular basis can help keep the skin from cracking.
2. Check your feet every day- You may experience foot problems, but feel no discomfort in your feet. Check your feet for red spots, sores, swelling, cuts and infected toenails on a regular basis.
3. Wash your feet daily- You should wash your feet in lukewarm water on a daily basis. Don't soak them because your skin will become dry. Use cornstarch or talcum powder to keep your feet dry and prevent an infection.
4. Avoid walking barefoot- Don't walk barefoot when outside or indoors. Wear comfortable shoes or sneakers that fit well and protect your feet. Wear stockings, socks or nylons with your shoes to keep from getting sores and blisters. It's easy to step on something and injure your feet. You may not feel any discomfort and not know that you injured yourself.
5. Stay active and on your feet- Being physically active increases blood flow to your feet. Move more by dancing, walking, swimming or going bike riding. Wear athletic shoes that give support and are made for your activity. If you are not very active, start slowly. Ask your doctor for safe ways to be more physically active each day.
Foot care is very important for all people with diabetes. If you take good care of your feet every day, you can lower your odds of losing a toe, foot, or leg. Seeing a podiatrist in the Norridge, IL area on a regular basis will also help keep your feet healthy. Don't take risks with your health. Call Norridge Foot Clinic in at (773) 625-2211 today to book an appointment.