How your podiatrist in Norridge, IL, can help heal your feet.
Diabetes is a common disease, affecting over 29 million people in this country, according to the American Diabetes Association. If you are one of them, it can be distressing to suffer the effects of diabetes, especially in your feet. When your feet hurt, the rest of your body often hurts too. Your podiatrist can help heal your feet when you have diabetes.
Dr. Laura Pickard at Norridge Foot Clinic in Norridge, IL, offers comprehensive foot care services, including taking care of your feet when you have diabetes.
If you are diabetic, you should practice a few simple tips to take care of your feet. Remember to:
- Thoroughly wash and dry your feet every day
- After cleansing, apply moisturizing cream or lotion to keep your skin from drying out
- Check your feet carefully for any blisters, cuts, or other injuries
- Apply antibiotic cream to any open cuts, sores, or blisters
- Bandage any injured areas on your feet to prevent infection
- Stretch your arches, toes, feet, and ankles daily to increase circulation
- Wear cushioned socks and supportive shoes
- Don’t go barefoot
Your feet need special care because diabetes causes dramatic changes to your major body systems, and these changes show up in your extremities, including your feet. Diabetes can cause:
- A decrease in immune system response, so that if you injure your feet, the injury may not heal properly, and infection can happen.
- A decrease in blood flow, so lack of adequate blood flow can cause soft tissue death, potentially resulting in amputations of toes or feet.
- A decrease in nervous system response, causing a loss of sensation in your feet. If you injure your feet, you may not feel it.
If you are diabetic, you should also make regular visits to your podiatrist a part of your self-care. Your podiatrist is an important part of your healthcare team. Regular professional foot examinations can help protect your feet from injuries and damage related to diabetes.
You deserve to stay active, so you need healthy feet. To find out more about special footcare needs when you are diabetic, talk with an expert. Call Dr. Pickard of Norridge Foot Clinic in Norridge, IL, at (773) 625-2211. Call today!