If you have diabetes, you must understand that the health of your lower extremities is in danger. Diabetes compromises skin integrity, circulation, nerve function and more in the feet and ankles. Consequently, Dr. Laura Pickard, your podiatrist at Norridge Foot Clinic in Norridge, IL, urges you to carefully inspect your feet daily and be proactive in their care.
How diabetes harms your feet
Insulin Nation reports that a full 25 percent of hospital visits among American diabetics are related to foot health. Typically, an ulcer, pressure point, or wound spirals into infection and even amputation.
Sadly, diabetics don't always sense or see when their feet are in trouble. Diabetic neuropathy results from elevated blood glucose levels which damage small nerve endings, leading to numbness, tingling and weakness in the feet and hands of individuals with Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes. Consequently, vigilant daily foot care, along with regular visits with your podiatrist in her Norridge, IL, office, are indispensable.
Daily care of your feet
To avoid infection and other serious problems, be sure to inspect your feet daily. Look for bruising and other changes in skin color. Examine the top and bottom of your feet, and between the toes, to discover any breaks in the skin, corns, or calluses.
Additionally, be sure to:
- Wear comfortable, well-fitting shoes which have plenty of room in the toe boxes.
- Trim your nails straight across with a clean clippers. and do not round the corners of the nails to avoid ingrown toenails.
- Wash your feet with soap and water, and dry with a clean towel.
- Wear clean, moisture-wicking socks every day.
- Keep your feet warm in cold weather.
- Avoid tight-fitting stockings.
- Stop all tobacco usage because smoking impairs circulation in the feet.
- Maintain a healthy weight and blood sugar levels.
- Moisturize your feet.
- Never trim corns or calluses at home.
- Do not walk barefoot--even indoors.
- Report any concerns to your podiatrist right away.
Take care of your feet
For your best podiatric health, please call Norridge Foot Clinic in Norridge, IL, for an examination by our wonderful foot doctor, Dr. Laura Pickard. Phone (773) 625-2211.