Foot Surgery in Norridge IL
When you’re dealing with different types of foot issues or conditions, there are many times when non-operative treatment does not resolve the problem and surgery is necessary. Dr. Jennifer Busser can help you determine if you would be a candidate for surgery and discuss all benefits, alternatives, and risks with you.
Types of Foot Surgery
Some common types of foot surgery include:
- Bunion Surgery - Bunions are a large bump that appears at the base of the big toe and can be painful. They can affect your ability to perform everyday activities. Your podiatrist may recommend bunion surgery, which would be a removal of the excess bone that’s causing you pain. There are different types of surgical procedures for bunions. These include osteotomies, which involve making a cut in the bone and shifting it over, and they can include fusion of different joints to keep the bones from shifting out of place again.
- Hammertoe Surgery- Hammertoes are a deformity in the toe that causes the joint to bend down. When hammertoes are severe, they can rub against the shoes and cause calluses and pain. Hammertoe surgery can involve straightening out the toe via removing a small piece of bone from the toe joint and/or releasing/tightening tendons that attach to the toe.
- Achilles Tendon Repairs and Debridements- The achilles tendon can become torn or detached following injuries. There are different types of procedures that allow your surgeon to be able to reattach the tendon again. The achilles tendon can also become fray and diseased from repeated stress and strain. Surgery for this can involve cleaning up the tendon and then reattaching it to the bone. For achilles tendon surgery, sometimes a graft is needed to fill any gaps and strengthen the tendon.
- Peroneal Tendon Debridements- The peroneal tendons run along the outside of your ankle and can often be damaged when an ankle has rolled many times. Surgery can involve cleaning up the tendon and then making it strong again by using sutures or using a graft.
- Wound Debridements/Incision and Drainages- Foot infections are unfortunately very common. Surgeons can clean up wounds in the operating room to achieve a healthier wound bed. They can also perform incision and drainage procedures if there is a pocket of infection that is trapped. Unfortunately, amputations are sometimes necessary but our team is skilled in performing all types of pedal level amputations including toe amputations, transmetatarsal amputations, and Syme amputations.
Contact Norridge Foot and Ankle Clinic if you struggle with different foot conditions that don’t resolve with non-surgical treatment. Call us today at (773) 625-2211 to schedule a consultation.